Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1801 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201826 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Barton Residence Common Name: 20 Bundy- Light Residence
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1939
Although modified with replacement vinyl windows, this Minimal Traditional-style house maintains a fair level of integrity, and contributes to the Montlake Historic District. It is associated with late 1930s development n Montlake. The house was owned in 1958 by William H. & Ellen B. Barton; he was in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This single-story house has Roman brick cladding and a hip-on-gable roof  with closed, overhanging eaves. Its plan is a modified T, with a primary bay and a secondary wing extended from the middle of the west elevation. Windows have replacement vinyl sash in varying configurations: double-casement, casement surrounding fixed, and fixed sash. The primary entry is in the corner of the T, and is flush to the house with the roofline extending  partly over the entry. On each bay leading from the corner of the T are a set of casement-around-fixed vinyl sash.  The north façade has two pairs of vinyl casement sash. A secondary entry is located on the east elevation. The west façade has another set of casement-around-fixed vinyl sash, and clapboard siding in the gable end.  An exterior brick chimney is at one of the rear corners of the T.

Detail for 1801 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201826 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick - Roman Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: T-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1801 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201826 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0