Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1623 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202200 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Kolb Residence Common Name: 19 Gwynn Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1940
Constructed in 1940, this Garrison Revival-style house is associated with 1930s-40s era development in Montlake. It retains a high level of integrity and contributes to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners were Otto W. & Eleanor Kolb in 1948; he was a manager for the Hershey Chocolate Corp. The home was owned by Solveig M. Geibel in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story Garrison Revival house sits on a poured concrete foundation, is clad with narrow and wide clapboard siding, and has a side-gabled roof with returned eaves and clad with asphalt shingles. The first story façade features a centered wood-paneled front door on a three-step concrete riser. The riser is surrounded by wood clad planters, and the door is flanked by a set of four-paned wood sidelights. The entry unit is flanked by two tall pairs of 16-light wood casement  sash, below which are wood panels. The second story projects over the first story, and six wood braces decorate the underside of the second story overhang. The second story features three pairs of 12-light wood casement sash, which are shorter versions of the first story window type. The secondary facades feature similar materials and fenestration to that of the front façade. An exterior brick chimney is seen on the east façade. The west façade includes a projecting bay that forms the middle part of the façade on the first and second stories.

Detail for 1623 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202200 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1623 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202200 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0