Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1922 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200531 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Shelton Residence Common Name: 13 Stevenson Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1930
This residence is a good and generally intact example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with 1930s-era the development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. Arthur L. & Carrie Shelton, a teacher at Queen Anne High School, owned the home from at least 1938 through 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.
This one-and-half story house has an irregular plan and side-gable roof with no eaves; two front- gabled projections with shallow eaves and returns extend from each side of the façade: a larger one on the left and smaller one on the right. A brick chimney is on the east wall; cladding is mainly red brick with patterned color brick variations to highlight windows and architectural features. The entry, set between the gabled bays, has a concrete porch with brick hip wall and wood batten door with grilled light under an arched opening to the left; a narrow arched opening forms a partial entry enclosure on one side. Paired 8/1 leaded hung sash face onto the porch. The main window in the left gable bay is a large fixed sash with leaded transom flanked by leaded casements; a 4/I leaded hung sash is in the gable above this and paired leaded casements are in the right gable bay. Windows on side elevations are similar. The basement garage on the right has original paired wood batten doors with leaded lights in the upper third.The house sits above the street on a sloped lot with a planted rockery, lawn, and foundation shrubs.

Detail for 1922 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200531 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1922 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200531 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0