Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2461 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200510 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Perry Residence Common Name: 13 McQueen Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
This Tudor Revival style house built in 1926 is generally intact and a typical example of the style. Despite replacement of the original wood cladding with stucco and vinyl replacement windows on side elevations, it retains its historic character. It is associated with 1920s-era the development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1928, were George H. Perry, a regional  manager at Southern Glass Co. and his wife, Marcy. Leif Norman, a salesman with Parke Davis & Co. and his wife

Georgia owned it in 1938. From 1948 through 1958, he home was owned by John W. & Betty Newbegin John was the  Secretary-Treasurer, South Bay Motor Freight Co Inc. / Secretary-Treasurer Coast Transit Inc.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).



Major Bibliographic References:



King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

 
Appearance
This one and half story house sits above the street; the front yard is terraced with a concrete retaining wall with brick coping and is densely planted with shrubs and perennials. The house has an irregular plan and a gable front and wing form with gable returns. The entry on the right side of the projecting front gable has a concrete stair and stoop with metal rail and balustrade and wood panel door with two rectangular lights in the upper third; it is sheltered by a hipped metal hood. A large rectangular three-part fixed sash leaded window is left of the entry; a small vertical arched grill is above this in the front gable. A smaller square leaded light window is on the right side; the basement garage below this has a newer rollup door. Windows on other elevations are replacement vinyl sash. A two-story addition is on the rear, west elevation.

Detail for 2461 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200510 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2461 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200510 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0