Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2455 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200541 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Rogers Residence Common Name: 13 Hagman Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This Tudor Revival style residence, built in 1925, is generally intact despite the addition of a newer entry porch. It is associated with 1920s-era the development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were Robert E. Rogers, salesman,  and his wife, Priscilla, in 1928. George Pampel, an advertising manager ( I. F. Laucks Inc.) and his wife, Marianne, owned it in 1938. The home was owned by William M. ( Columns Smoke Shop) & Sally Walker in 1948. In 1958, Alice P. Warinner, supervisor at the State Dept. of Public Assistance owned the home.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic references:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story rectangular house has a gable front and wing form with shingle cladding and a brick chimney on the south gable wall. The side gables are clipped; although the front gable is not; gables have stucco cladding; the eaves are shallow with exposed rafters and plain bargeboards. An uncovered full-width wood porch that projects from the primary, east elevation has concrete stairs, clapboard cladding and plain wood rail and balustrade. The entry has a wood panel door with a small obscure light and is sheltered by an arched hood with carved brackets. Paired leaded divided light sash and a group of three similar sashes, both with wood surrounds and shutters, are on either side of the entry. Paired divided leaded light sash are in the upper gable. Windows on other elevations are similar. The house sits slightly above the street with lawn, and a few shrubs and small trees.

Detail for 2455 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200541 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2455 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200541 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0