Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1920 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200530 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Burdick Residence Common Name: 13 Coldwell Residence
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1930
This residence built in 1930, is a good and generally intact example of the Spanish Eclectic/ Revival style. It is associated with 1930s-era the development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house (1938) were Karl Burdick, Plant Staff Asst, Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co. and his wife Dorothy. In 1948 Milton P. Roumm, a clerk, and his wife, Edith owned the home. Henry A. Jones, a funeral director for Bonney-Watson Funeral Home, and his wife, Evelyn owned the home in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004. 
This two-story residence is irregular in plan with a gable front and wing form with no eaves; the front gable wing is two-stories and the side wing is one-story. The roofline of the second story extends to the east over a narrow projection setback on the south roof slope of the single story wing and extending from the east roof-wall junction of the two sections; this projection has vertically arranged gridded vents in the south and east facing walls. The roof is clad in clay tile and wall cladding is painted brick. The entry at the el is slightly recessed under the eave with a concrete stoop; a wood slatted screen forms a partial enclosure on the east side; the door is wood batten with Mission style hardware. Paired leaded casement windows to the right of the door, and similar casements in the gable, have rustic wood shutters. The main window in the two-story section is a large square leaded-light fixed sash with a small coat of arms motif in one of the lights. A former garage opening below this window has paired obscure glass frame doors. Windows on other elevations are similar original paired leaded light casements. The house sits slightly above the street with a rockery and shrubs.

Detail for 1920 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200530 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1920 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200530 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0