Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1932 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200540 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Stevenson Residence Common Name: 13 Berg Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This Colonial Revival-influenced house is intact and associated with 1920s-era the development in Montlake area; it is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. In 1928 the owners were Donald J. Stevenson, timekeeper at R. G. Stevenson, and his wife, Zoe. The home was owned by Fivus S. & Evelyn Rivkin in 1938, of Rivkin's Jewelry & Watch shop. In 1948 Elizabeth F. Dindot owned the home and in 1958 it was owned by Harry Brown.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-story clapboard-clad house sits on a flat corner lot with lawn, plant beds and shrubs, and is enclosed by a picket fence. It is irregular in plan with a gable front and wing form and has shallow eaves and returns. A prominent brick chimney is centered on the main body of the primary façade. The entry at the ell has a carved wood panel door, concrete stoop, brick-clad stairs and a metal railing; all sheltered by a hipped roof supported by carved brackets. Eight-light casements flank the chimney; paired 9/1 sash are centered on the front gable wall and are flanked by smaller windows with divided lights. Windows on other elevations include grouped divided light casements and hung sash with divided lights over single lights; small arched attic lights are in both of the upper gables. A hanging gabled bay is on the east elevation and a gabled, enclosed porch is on the rear, north elevation.

Detail for 1932 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200540 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1932 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200540 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0