Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Shindell Residence Common Name: 18 Layton Residence
Style: Modern, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1939
This residence has been altered with a prominent second story addition and new windows and cladding that have significantly altered the building's original character; it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District. The first known owners of the house, as early as 1948, were Milton R. and Ruth Shindell. Mr. Shindell was employed at Coast Jewelry Co. They remained at least until 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This building was remodeled in 2001, with the addition of a second story and altered basement and first floor. Many of the materials are not original to the house. It is irregular in plan, in a modified L shape. The two-story building sits on a concrete foundation, is clad with brick and clapboard,and has a multiple-gabled on hip roofline. This building has been highly modified from a small, single-story, minimal traditional hipped-roof brick building to a large, two story house with multiple rooflines, cladding materials, and window styles.  The first story includes a recessed entry at the bend of the L, with two sets of original wood sash: a three-part fixed flanked with 8-light casement, and a pair of 8-light casement. Under the gable wing end is a replacement single-light window. The entry is sheltered by a gable roof with returned eaves, which is not original to the house. The second story is dominated by two large dormers: the front dormer is gable with returned eaves, and the side gable has a hipped roof with overhanging eaves.  Second story windows are vinyl, and include multi-light sliding and fixed sash. A secondary entry is located at the east elevation, accessed by a wood deck, and a concrete driveway leads to the rear of the house. A large brick chimney is visible in on the western facade. Landscaping includes mature trees and shrubs. -    

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0