Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2467 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0051 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Peterson Residence Common Name: 17 Cordy Residence
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
This one-and half-story residence is a good example of a wood-clad Tudor Revival house.  Built in 1926, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area.  It has been somewhat altered, with a second-story addition on the rear, west elevation, but retains its original character and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were Elmer C. & Hazel Peterson in 1928. In 1938, it was owned by Francis J. & Louise Engel, a manager at Bissinger & Company, William H. Smith, and his wife, Ruth owned it in 1948. Howard T. Storie, a salesman at Hearst Advertising Services, and his wife, Lois were the owners in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story clapboard-clad Tudor is rectangular in plan with clipped gables and a gable-front-and-wing form. The front gable on the south side of the façade sweeps down towards the center over the entry; the entry has an arched wood door with arched leaded window sheltered under an arched hood with carved bracket supports. The concrete porch and stairs are brick clad with brick piers and metal railings. Grouped windows on the façade are leaded transoms over fixed sash flanked by 6-light leaded casements. Windows in the front gable and shed dormer are also leaded divided light casements; other elevations have similar sash as well as 6/1 leaded sash singly and paired. A brick chimney is on the south gable wall and another projects from the gable ridge. The house sits above the street on a corner lot with a rockery, some lawn and a single conifer tree. A detached concrete garage (1936) below grade of the side yard at the northwest corner of the lot has a patio on the roof enclosed by wood privacy fence and a newer vinyl door. It is accessible from street level from E. Miller St.

Detail for 2467 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0051 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2467 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0051 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0