Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2463 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0050 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Cochrane Residence Common Name: 17 Lewis-Baker Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This bungalow has been somewhat altered with replacement vinyl sash, but retains its original character.  Built in 1925, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is  a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were C. Edward M. Cochrane, a salesman, and his wife, Elsie in 1928. The home was owned by Ralph W. Bertolin , an insurance agent (Automobile Insurance Co & Standard Fire Insurance Co.) and his wife, Edna, from 1938 through 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story clapboard-clad bungalow has a rectangular plan and gable-front-and-wing form with a slightly projecting front gable on the north side. It has boxed eaves and returns and shows some Colonial Revival influence. The enclosed entry at the center is recessed under a small gable with an arched brick clad opening, brick clad stair and porch and a newer panel door. A prominent brick chimney pierces the eave left of the entry. Front windows are grouped fixed sash flanked by plain casements on each side of the entry.  An enclosed gabled side entry projects from the north elevation. The house sits on a small lot above the street with a planted rockery and lawn. A detached below-grade concrete garage (1939) on the northeast corner has a newer vinyl door that opens to street level.

Detail for 2463 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0050 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2463 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0050 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0