Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2316 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202040 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 27 Hooley Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1929
Constructed in 1929, this house is an intact example of the Tudor Revival style, and contributes to the Montlake Historic District.

This is one of the 27 brick homes erected in Montlake, between Boyer Avenue and 18th Avenue East, and McGraw and Lynn Streets.  R. T. Brackett and M. M. Kelliher were the builders, under supervision of Robert R. Heinmingsen. Albert H. Geiser was the architect, and D.D. Kirk of the Varsity Decorating Company served as consulting decorator.  All homes were erected between 1928 and 1930, and all were of unique design in the Tudor-revival style. The earliest known owners of this house were George H. & Mary Shearer in 1938. He was District Engineer, Washington State Dept of Highways. It was owned by Charles L. & Harriet Stocker in 1948; he was Branch Manager, Lincoln Electric Co. In 1958, the home was owned by UW Professor George A. & Evelyn Shipman.  

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1.5 story house sits on a corner lot on a poured concrete foundation, is clad with brick and half-timbered stucco accents, and has a front-facing gable with gabled wing clad with asphalt composition shingles. Original shingles were wood.  The primary entry is just off-center on the front (west) façade with a non-original paneled wood door within an entry vestibule whose roof is an extension of the overhanging eaves of the main body of the house. The front gable is to the north of the entry, and has returned eaves and leaded, multi-light fixed and casement windows on the first and second stories. To the south of the entry is a hipped roof bay, with square and diamond shaped leaded windows on both fixed and casement units. Half-timbered stucco is seen above and below the window openings. Secondary facades include similar materials and windows as the front façade, and there is a brick interior chimney. 

Detail for 2316 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202040 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2316 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202040 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0