Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2312 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202041 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 27 Wagoner Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1928
Constructed in 1928, this is a generally intact example of the Tudor Revival style, and is a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.

This is one of the 27 brick homes erected in Montlake, between Boyer Avenue and 18th Avenue East, and McGraw and Lynn Streets.  R. T. Brackett and M. M. Kelliher were the builders, under supervision of Robert R. Heinmingsen. Albert H. Geiser was the architect, and D.D. Kirk of the Varsity Decorating Company served as consulting decorator.  All homes were erected between 1928 and 1930, and all were of unique design in the Tudor-revival style. The earliest known owners of this house were Walter A. & Clara Drake in 1938; he was an engineer. In 1948, it was owned by Frank & Barbara Hiscock. Mr. Hiscock was an engineer for LaBow Haynes Co Inc., as well as Chairman of the Board, Lake Washington Yacht Basin Inc. Their ownership continued through 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two story house is square in plan, sits on a poured concrete foundation, is brick clad with half-timbered stucco accents, and is side gabled with a single dominant (nearly) mid-façade front gable, all with asphalt composition shingle roof cladding.  The almost-centered entry on the front (west) includes a rounded wood door with a rounded brick entry porch, with the brick forming a modified starburst pattern. The first story also includes leaded, multi-light casement windows. The second story includes  pair of diamond-pane casements in the gable. Half timbered stucco veneer comprises the cladding beneath the gable peak. The second story is also dominated by a non-original full façade shed-roof dormer with half-timbered stucco veneer cladding and fixed and casement divided leaded windows. There is an exterior brick chimney on the north wall. Secondary facades include similar materials and window openings as the front façade, and there appears to be another non-original shed-roofed second story dormer on the rear (east) façade. Although the integrity of the house has been altered by the large shed roofed dormer, the house still retains sufficient integrity to be a contributing element in the historic district.

Detail for 2312 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202041 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Other: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2312 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202041 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0