Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2306 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202105 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Wilson Residence Common Name: 27 Carroll Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1928
Constructed in 1928, this is a generally intact example of the Tudor Revival style, and is a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  This is one of the 27 brick homes erected in Montlake, between Boyer Avenue and 18th Avenue East, and McGraw and Lynn Streets.  R. T. Brackett and M. M. Kelliher were the builders, under supervision of Robert R. Heinmingsen. Albert H. Geiser was the architect, and D.D. Kirk of the Varsity Decorating Company served as consulting decorator.  All homes were erected between 1928 and 1930, and were unique variations of the Tudor Revival style. The earliest known owners of this house were Dr. Walter E. & Mabel Wilson in 1938. Dr. Wilson was a dentist at the Roosevelt Clinic. In 1948, it was owned by Bernard & Ruby Gladstein worked at Pioneer Supply Co. The owners in 1958 were Carl G. & Joan Koch in 1958. Mr. Koch was lawyer with Karr, Tuttle & Campbell.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one and a half story house is square in plan, sits on a poured concrete foundation, is brick clad with masonry accents, and has a side gable with front wing roof, clad in wood shingles. The front gable roofline extends to a squared parapet gable with masonry accents (including corner stones) above the entry door and window. The entry bay is on the primary (west) façade, is flush to the house, and includes the solid wood-paneled with decorative masonry accents, and etched stone surround. It is sheltered by a rounded fabric awning. Above the front door is a rectangular 8-light metal leaded glass window, with masonry accent trim. To the north of the entry is the front gable, which is dominated by a two-story semi-hexagonal bay window with a flared metal roof and etched masonry accents with a botanical motif. The primary windows that face 16th Avenue E. on the house’s front (west) façade are pairs of 8-light leaded casements with 8-light surrounds and transoms. The first story transoms are stained glass in a modified art deco/art nouveau style. The side gable wing to the south of the entry includes a triple band of six-light leaded casement windows with transoms and sidelights and a masonry sill. The roof overhangings the windows slightly. The second story of this wing includes a gabled dormer with a six-light metal casement window with three-light surrounds. There is an exterior stacked brick chimney on the south wall, and an interior brick chimney is also visible.

Detail for 2306 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202105 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2306 16TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788202105 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0