Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2303 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788201415 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Moore Residence Common Name: 32 Thompson Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1910
This residence is a largely intact example of a Craftsman bungalow. Constructed in 1910, it is associated with early development in the Montlake neighborhood and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. Mrs. Mary A. Moore owned this house from at least 1928 through 1938. A relative, Mrs. Edythe L. Moore, owned the house from from 1948 through 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This one-and-half story bungalow sits on a flat corner lot with lawn and foundation shrubs enclosed by a wood fence. The house is rectangular in plan with a side-gable roof, decorative bargeboards, prominent brackets, and clapboard cladding with shingles in the gables. The large porch projects from the south end of the front with a gabled roof supported by large clapboard clad piers and brick posts with wood rail and balustrade. The front door is obscured by a screen door. Paired wood sash cottage windows with patterned upper sashes are to the left of the door and a similar single sash window is towards the north. A shed-roof dormer across the front has square patterned ribbon windows. The south elevation features an open porch at the center with an original craftsman door, set between a projecting shed roof bay on the left and a gabled bay on the right; a prominent stone chimney pierces the bay’s gable eave and small patterned sash windows flank the chimney. All other windows are original similar wood sashes in varied configurations. The north elevation has a shed roof hanging bay and all original windows similar to the others. A driveway on the north side leads to a detached single garage (1932).

Detail for 2303 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788201415 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2303 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788201415 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0