Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2304 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201470 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 31 Knight residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1920
 
Significance
This cottage residence is intact and exhibits the influence of the Tudor revival and Craftsman styles. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were T. Sather in 1928.From 1938 through 1948, the home was owned by Edward N. Phelan, a dept. manager at Seattle Chamber of Commerce, and his wife, Edith.

Leroy H. Jones, a general agent at Wabash Railroad, and his wife, Eva owned the house in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

ReferencesKing County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story side-gable Tudor cottage sits on a relatively flat corner lot with lawn, foundation shrubs, and a low wood fence enclosing the north half of the yard. It has a side-gable roof with a crossing front gable on the south end of the main façade and bargeboards with pendants in the gable ends. Cladding is coursed shingles with stucco and false timbering in the gables and in the shed dormer above the entry. The recessed porch at the center of the west facade has brick sidewalls and piers with square post supports; the original wood frame and glass door has a single panel in the lower third and a trapezoidal shaped wood surround.  A prominent brick chimney centered on the front gable wall is flanked by single cottage sash windows with leaded lights in the upper part set in trapezoidal shaped wood surrounds. A group of three similar windows is at the south end of the façade and on the south elevation. Windows in the gables and dormer are paired or single leaded-light sash with plain surrounds. 

Detail for 2304 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201470 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2304 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201470 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0