Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Common Name: 38 Lynn St Apts
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1915
This American Foursuare style residence is somewhat altered by the replacement of the original shingle cladding with smoothe stucco cladding, but generally retains its historic character.Built in 1915, it is associated with the early development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.
In 1928,  the owners of this house were William C. Jackson, a salesman, at Wilson's Modern Business College, and his wife, Jennie. The home was owned by John H. Stevenson, a structural engineer at the Port of Seattle, and his wife, Lulu in 1938. Sometime before 1948 the single family home was converted to a duplex. In 1948  Bertha Berger, a saleswoman at Jean Hall occupied  a unit and Peter A. Wick, a laborer, occupied another. In 1958, Russell Gardiner a Boeing employee, and
Frank Hardesty, a salesman at Pope & Talbot occupied the apartments.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story Foursquare multifamily dwelling sits above the street on a steeply sloping lot with rockery, lawn, foundation shrubs and a large mature cedar tree; a north-south alley is on the west side of the lot. It has a shallow hipped roof with deep boxed eaves and a symmetrical façade. The central entry has a two-story wood porch with corner columns and square pilasters, wood balustrade, and panel door with divided sidelights; the open second story porch has a wood balustrade and paired French doors with divided sidelights. Paired 1/1 wood sash windows flank both porches on the façade. The east elevation has similar fenestration with a central shallow stucco-clad balcony projecting from the center of the second story; it has a French door and divided sidelights. A group of three multiple-light wood casements is below the balcony. A walkout basement entry on this elevation has a flat hood with brackets and French door with divided sidelights. Similar 1/1 wood sash windows are on other elevations, paired and singly. A second-story open wood porch with wood balustrade and stairs projects from the center of the rear south elevation.

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0