Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2051 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100055 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 38 Fung Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1914
This residence has been altered with new cladding and window sash and changes to the porch and entryand it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  The owners of this house from 1928 through 1938, were John J. Miscall, a baker at Occident Baking Company, and his wife, Bessie.The home was owned by John Larson, a cement worker, and his wife, Inez from 1948 through 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


This two-story residence sits above the street with a tall overgrown hedge across the front with an arched opening, concrete stairs and a lawn. It has a rectangular plan, hipped roof with deep eaves and asbestos shingle cladding. The original full-width recessed porch has been infilled at the south end. The entry at the north end has a newer curved stair with shingle-clad hipwall and metal balustrade, square corner post, newer panel door with leaded light and plain sidelights; a metal balustrade encloses the full-width porch roof. A large replacement sash picture window is left of the porch, a vinyl slider and a 1/1 sash window are on the second story, and a hipped dormer centered on the façade has a divided-light wood sash window.

Detail for 2051 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100055 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Concrete/Asbestos Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2051 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100055 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0