Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2041 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100070 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 38 Stroud Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
 
Significance
This residence has been altered with new cladding and window sash and other alterations that have significantly altered the building's original character, and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  In 1928, Sigurd Haugen, a demonstrator at Alber Bros Milling Company, and his wife, Janet owned this home. It was owned by relatives, Ole S. Haugen (Computer, City Engineering) and his wife, Berta from 1938 through 1948. An engineer at Boeing, John H. Lampman, and his wife,  Marjorie owned this house in 1958.



Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  



Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.



The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.



By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).



Major Bibliographic References:



King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  



Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.



Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html



Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.



Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



    







 
Appearance
This 2-1/2 story side-gable house sits above the street with lawn and shrubs. It has vinyl cladding and a symmetrical  façade with a central two-story porch. The porch has brick clad foundation, stairs and corner piers with tapered square posts, hipped roof, plain door with obscure glass sidelights, and wood balustrades on both levels. The open second story porch has two single French doors on each end and a 12-light wood sash between them. A large gabled dormer above has a large single horizontal sash and small vinyl sash above it. Three-part windows flanking the porch have a wider hung wood sash with divided lights in the upper part flanked by similar narrower wood sash in original surrounds. The second story has similar single hung wood sash windows on each side of the porch. A brick chimney is on the north gable wall.

Detail for 2041 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100070 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Veneer- Vinyl Siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2041 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100070 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0