Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2011 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100115 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Hart Residence Common Name: 38 Clagg Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
This residence is a generally intact example of an American Foursquare. Built in 1913, it is associated with the early development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From 1928 through 1938,  Harry A. Hart, Field Deputy, at the State Dept. of Labor & Industries, and his wife,  Anna owned this house. The home was owned by a widow, Janet MacClellan (Alan), in 1948. In 1958, it was owned by  a relative, Mercedes MacClellan,  a clerk, at United Pacific Insurance. The house was designed by architect E. E. Greene.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

    



 
Appearance
This two-story clapboard-clad Foursquare has been somewhat altered by the replacement of the full-width front porch with hip wall with a smaller hipped porch with balustrade, and removal of a hipped dormer on the facade. It sits above the street with planted slope and raised vegetable beds. It has a hipped roof with deep eaves and exposed rafter tails. The wood porch on the north end has a hipped roof, square posts, wood balustrade, and a wood door with 6 small square lights in the upper part and wide plan sidelights with a panel below. A large picture window is on the south part of the façade, two 1/1 wood sash windows are on the second story and small single light windows are on each end. Side elevations have similar hung sash and a canted hanging bay is on the second story of the south elevation.

Detail for 2011 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100115 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2011 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8722100115 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0