Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2025 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100300 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 37 Gee Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival, Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This residence is intact and ehibits the influence of the Tudoor Revival and Colonial Revival styles. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. In 1928,  the owners of this house were Charles F.  Frankland, a dept. manager at Puget Sound Savings & Loan Association, and his wife Edith.

The home was owned in 1938, by George H. Heberling, an assistant manager at General Motors Acceptance Corporation, and his wife, Betty.

The home was owned from 1948 through 1958 by Donald M. Niles, an associate at Ryan Askren & Mathewson, and is wife, Mary.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

This 1-1/2 story shingle-clad cottage sits above the street with rockery and foundation shrubs.It has a gable-and-wing form with side clipped-gable and crossing front gable on the south end of the façade. The entry at the ell has a wood porch and stairs with wood balustrade and flat roof with slender square corner post. The inset entry has a wood panel door and wood frame and glass storm door. The windows in the gable wall are all groups of three narrow wood hung sash with 6-ligjt leaded upper sash, wood shutters and window boxes. Two grouped windows are on the first story and one is in the gable.

Detail for 2025 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100300 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2025 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100300 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0