Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2205 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100395 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 37 Tratt Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1912, it is associated with the early development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From 1928 through at least 1948 the home was owned by the Patterson family.In 1928, William H. Patterson, an independentfire insurance adjuster, and his wife, Flora owned and resided there. In 1938, a relative, Charles I. Patterson, a chiropractor, resided in/ and or owned the home. In 1948, William H. Patterson, owned the home.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story coursed shingle-clad Craftsman style house sits on a flat triangular corner lot with a low rustic rock wall and metal balustrade fence. Landscaping is informal with flagstone patio and walkways, planting beds and mature shrubs and trees. It has a side-gable roof with deep opens eaves, exposed rafters, brackets, bargeboards, and wood shake cladding. The full-width recessed porch has square posts with rustic brick and stone piers, and shingle-clad hip wall. The shed hipped dormer centered on the main façade is flanked by gabled dormers at each end. There are two entries facing onto the porch; the main entry at the south end has a Craftsman style door with 4 square lights in the upper part and a wood frame screen door; the secondary entry towards the north has a plain door.  All of the façade windows are 6/1 hung wood sash in wide wood surrounds. Two single windows and one paired window are on the first story. The dormers have paired windows in the middle and single windows in the ends; all of them have recessed balconettes with small metal balustrades. Windows on other elevations are similar and also include multiple light wood casements in a two-story bay addition centered on the rear facade. An original balconette, with paired French doors and metal balustrade, projects from the south gable end. A rustic brick and stone exterior chimney on the rear elevation pierces the roof eaves near the northwest corner.

Detail for 2205 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100395 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2205 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100395 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0