Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1950 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100745 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 36 R.M. Land Company
Style: French - French Eclectic, Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
This residence is intact and shows Tudor Revival and French Eclectic style influence. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house, in 1928,  were John W. McCoy, a manager at William Volker & Company, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1938, the home was owned by Victor L. Saxe, a credit manager, at Cragin & Company, and his wife,  Alfhild.  Paul E. Pollack, of Coo Coo Tavern and  Pep Sales Company, and his wife, Lorraine owned the home in 1948. The home was owned by an employee of Pioneer Towing,  Robert E. Deskins, and his wife,  Virginia in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 2-story stucco-clad house with a walkout basement sits above the street with retaining wall, large shrubs and mature trees.  It has a cross-gable roof with a steep side-gable over the main body and a large prominent clipped gable across the façade; the clipped portion of the gable is unusually large; a steep hipped dormer is situated high on the south gable slope.  A shallow shed-roof porch on the north half of the façade’s basement level has turned concrete column supports and a shaped arched garden entry under its north end; an arcaded stucco wall extends toward the south from the porch to shelter exterior stairs ascending to the upper main hipped-roof entry porch at the south end. Windows at the basement porch level are grouped leaded casement sash and grouped 8/1 leaded sash are above the porch roof. Windows in the gable are grouped and single plain wood casements. A tall stucco chimney is on the north gable wall.

Detail for 1950 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100745 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1950 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100745 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0