Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1938 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100715 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 36 Armstrong Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner of this house was Kate Auger (from PRC) in 1928. The home was owned by Harry G. Anger, a branch manager at  Puget Sound Power & Light Company, and his wife, Katherine in 1938.

Royal A. Frew, the president of Wason Brothers Company, and his wife, Vesta owned the home in 1948. In 1958, the home was owned by Leslie A. Sherman, Staff Negotiator, at Washington Employers and his wife, Katherine.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



This 2-story stucco and brick clad Tudor with above ground basement sits above the street with lawn, large shrubs across the front retaining wall, and foundation beds. The house has multiple rooflines; the main body has a side-gable roof; a crossing steep hipped roof on a front gable-on-hip roof, is stepped back on the south half the façade; the main front gable projects from the north half of the façade.  The front gable has brick cladding on the basement level extending up into a two story bay projecting from the gable wall. The bay has a group of three 6-light leaded casements at the basement level and a large window of leaded wood sash casements with a group of three 8-light sash and 4-light transoms on the main level.  The rest of the gable wall is stucco clad with brick accents; the gable end has stucco with false timbering and 3 spaced six-light leaded casement windows. Other façade windows are small paired and single leaded sash.  Side elevations have clapboard cladding and 2/1 single and paired sash. The main entry porch is on the side elevation, under the hipped roof in the southwest corner. It has square timber supports and sawn balustrade with ogee arch pattern. 

Detail for 1938 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100715 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Varied roof lines Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1938 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100715 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0