Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1928 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100706 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 36 Graham Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From 1928 through 1938, the owners of this house were Alfred E. Wason, of Wason Brothers, and his wife, Nettie.The home was owned in 1948 by Claude C. Ray, the manager at Lenora Auto Sales, and his wife,  Bessie. In 1958, Albert C. Hender, a salesman at AM Cystocope, and his wife, Joyce owned the home.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This 2-story stucco-clad Tudor sits on a relatively flat lot with low rock wall, hedges, lawn, planting beds and trees. It has a wood shingle clad cross gable roof with multiple prominent front gables; the upper front gable has false half-timbering. A hipped roof entry porch is at the intersection of the front gables on the south corner of the main façade. The porch has brick trim, metal balustrade, and timber-frame support posts with arched beams; the south-facing door is not visible. The front gable features a two-story window wall with a scrollwork band between the first and second story. The enframed window group has four leaded casement sash on each story, with small transom lights above each sash on the taller upper story grouping. A 6/6 leaded sash with shutters is in the gable above. Other façade windows include multiple light fixed sash and small arched light leaded sash. A tall stucco chimney with brick cap is on the north gable wall and a shed dormer is on the south slope of the main front gable.

Detail for 1928 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100706 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Other
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1928 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100706 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0