Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1912 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100660 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Eldrich Residence Common Name: 36 Retman Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
This residence has been somewhat altered by the replacement of the original cladding of stucco and false timbering in the front gable with shingle cladding. Despite this, it is generally intact and retains its historic Tudor Revival character. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. In 1928, the owners of this house were Herman Eldrich, a salesman, and his wife, Ida. The home was owned by the manager of Preferred Equipment Company, Allen C. Wright , and his wife, Wilma in 1938. Leroy J. Leavitt (H. L. Roberts & Co; Secretary-Treasurer, Laurie & Co. ), and his wife, Corinne owned the house in 1948. In 1958, it was owned by Edward E. Scribner, an  assistant actuary at Northern Life Insurance Company, and his wife, Muriel.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



   

 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story shingle-clad house sits on a deep narrow flat lot with lawn and a very large mature conifer on the southwest corner. It has a cross-gable roof with returns; the crossing front gable is at the north end of the main façade with a garage below. The gabled entry at the center has a painted brick hip wall on the stairs descending to the south, an arched opening with painted brick trim, and stucco in the gable; the original wood panel door has an arched divided light in the upper half. A painted brick chimney is on the exterior wall to the right of the entry. Windows on the façade are wood sash with leaded lights, including paired and grouped casements, and a small window in the gable. 

Detail for 1912 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100660 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1912 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100660 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0