Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1900 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 2125049082 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 36 Manella residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1929
This residence is a generally intact example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. In 1948, the home was owned by Frederick S. King, (Taffy Towne Candies), and his wife,  Lena. Victor M. Gargiulo,  (U.S. Air Force), and his wife,  Mary owned it in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This 1-1/2 story brick-clad Tudor sits on a large flat lot with a low hedge, lawn, planting beds and small trees. It has a cross-gable roof, shallow eaves and gable returns; the crossing gable is at the south end of the façade. The entry towards the north end has a concrete stoop and wood panel door under a shed hood extending from the eaves. A picture window flanked by 4/1 narrow leaded sash is right of the entry and paired 8/1 leaded hung sash with shutters is in the gable wall. An architectural glass block window is in the gable has and a small stucco gable dormer above the entry has a laded light. A brick chimney projects from the south gable wall.

Detail for 1900 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 2125049082 / Inv # 0

Classication: District District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1900 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 2125049082 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0