Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.seattle.gov'

New Search

Summary for 1958 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100965 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Howe Residence Common Name: 48 Lindstrom Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1914
 
Significance
This residence has been altered with an enclosed porch, a reconfigured entry, replacement windows, and a rear addition. It is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner was G. B. Howe, in 1928. Fireman Osden E. Dreyer, and his wife, Iva, owned the home in 1938. Daniel C. & Margaret Fraser owned the home in the 1940s and 1950s. He was a warehouseman for Schwabacher Hardware Co.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story house is rectangular in plan and has clapboard and wood shingle cladding and a front gabled roof with exposed roofboards. The house is largely obscured by dense vegetation. The front (south) façade includes a broad front porch that has been filled in and incorporated into the main living space. The entry has been moved eastward and replaces a former window opening.  Front façade fenestration includes double-hung wood sash and double-hung vinyl sash with false muntins.  Secondary facades have wood and vinyl sash in varying configurations.  There is a large addition at the rear of the property, and an exterior brick chimney on the west wall.

Detail for 1958 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100965 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1958 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100965 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0