Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1938 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100995 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Davies Residence Common Name: 48 Shintaffer Residence
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
This residence is a good and generally intact example of the Colonial Revival style. It is associated with early 20th century development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were Henry W. Davies, an Assistant Secretary-Assistant Engineer for the Port of Seattle, along with his wife, Ruth, in 1928. In 1938, Douglas & Gladys Hilditch owned the home; he was a salesman for Hobart Manufacturing Company; they were here through the 1940s. It was owned by David D. & June Lonay in 1958; he was a salesman for John Hancock Life Insurance.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

This residence is a good and generally intact (with some replacement windows) example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story house is rectangular in plan, is stucco clad, and has a steeply-pitched side-gabled roof with front gabled wing with exposed vergeboards. The front (south) façade includes the recessed front entry, with an arched wood door and surround. It is flanked by newer vinyl sash, with fixed and casement elements beneath fanlights. Secondary facades are clad with stucco and have vinyl sash in varying configurations. An arched vent sits beneath the front gable peak. An exterior stucco-clad chimney is on the west wall. The east elevation has an enclosed bay unit. 

Detail for 1938 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100995 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1938 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 8722100995 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0