Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1736 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500030 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Allen Residence Common Name: 47 Fan-Rafton Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
 
Significance
This residence is a good example of a variation of a Worker's Foursquare house.  At an unknown date, a garage and porch were added, but it retains it historical character and is a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  Built in 1925, it is associated with 1920s-era development in Montlake. The earliest known owner was Clay Allen, in 1928. The home was owned by Sam Wilkinson, a salesman, and his wife Annie in 1938. In the 1940s and 50s, the home was owned by attorney Eugene F. Hooper and his wife, Dorothy.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

    
 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story clapboard-clad Foursquare sits on a relatively flat lot with lawn and foundation shrubs. It appears to be somewhat altered on the main façade with a new porch and large dormer. It has a steep hipped roof, boxed eaves, and two-story gabled bays projecting from the north and south elevations which extend through the eaves. A two-story full-width wood porch appears to be an addition to the main façade and has square paneled posts and wood balustrades. The main entry is a wood frame and beveled glass door with similar sidelights recessed on the north end of the porch. A large shaped wall-dormer centered on the façade has paired arched French doors leading onto the second story porch. A window group on the south end of the façade has a wide cottage sash with divided diamond-lights in the upper part flanked by two similar narrower wood sash windows in wood surround. Side elevations have similar windows. The basement garage is below the north end of the facade and a brick chimney is on the south elevation.

Detail for 1736 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500030 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1736 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500030 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0