Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2100 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000055 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: St. Demetrios Church Common Name:
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1962
This religious building is in the Dalialand Plat.This building was built after the period of significance for the historic district. It was designed by architect Paul Thiry, one of the principal architects of the Century 21 Exposition Seattle's World's Fair that same year and of the Museum of History and Industry. The landscape architect was Richard Haag, who later designed Gas Works Park. Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is part of the Greek Orthodox metropolis or diocese of San Francisco, within the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. It is Seattle's oldest Greek Orthodox congregation.

The church was one of the first buildings constructed in the Dahlialand plat. The plat is named after Dahlialand Gardens, a store run by Mrs. J.W. Wheeler. The store, which was established by 1924, was demolished in 1962. Dahlialand Gardens occupied a large tract of land between Boyer Avenue East, East Lynn Street, and 19th Avenue East.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This building is a church with an attached school. The church is multi-sided with an arched concrete roof, with cladding of brick and mosaic tile. The most dominant feature is its multi-colored glass cupola. The school building has a largely rectangular plan and steel frame construction. It has a flat roof and bands of windows divided by thick metal mullions.

Detail for 2100 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000055 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Ceramic tile, Concrete Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet, Other Roof Material(s): Other
Building Type: Religion - Religious facility Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Steel No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Unknown
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2100 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000055 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Apr 30, 2010
App v2.0.1.0