Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1907 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0620 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Stevning Residence Common Name: 46 Tate Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1929
This residence is a good example of the Tudor Revival style. Built in 1929, it is associated with the late 1920s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood.  It remains intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1938, were Oliver Stevning, a District Manager for Brown & Bigelow, and his wife, Margaret. It was owned by Jack S. & Ruth Bloch in 1948; he worked at B & R Restaurants and Plastic Signs & Sales Co.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This brick-clad Tudor-style house has a rectangular plan, a steep cross-gable roof with clipped ends, a tall two-toned brick chimney on the south facade and lighter toned brick detailing at the corners and window lintels. The gable-front section has a ridge in the center of the clipped end, creating a unique sloping roof shape to either side at the top. A narrow concrete porch with wrought-iron railings projects above an attached garage below. The porch is sheltered by a projecting shed roof. The wood door is slightly recessed.  To the south of the entry is a 3-part picture window with newer multi-pane faux divided casements in the center flanked by 4/1 double-hung windows. A pair of leaded 6/1 double-hung windows are located in the gable end.  Double-hung windows with multi-pane uppers are typical on the north and south facades. A concrete retaining wall divides the raised area of the site that is planted with lawn and shrubs, from the concrete driveway at grade that leads to a paneled garage door.

Detail for 1907 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0620 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1907 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0620 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0