Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1719 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0090 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Wakefield Residence Common Name: 46 Wallach-Hatch Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1909
 
Significance
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1909, it is one of the oldest houses in the area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner, in 1928, was Jennie Wakefield, a widow. After a period of vacancy in the 1930s, it was owned by Gordon S. Brown, a buyer for Frederick & Nelson, and his wife, Lois, in the 1940s. The owners in 1958 were Paul A. & Mary Williams in 1958; he was an engineer for the State of Washington.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliograpic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This one-and-one-half story Craftsman-style house is rectangular in plan with clapboard siding and a side gable roof with deep eaves and knee braces. A shed roof dormer with exposed rafter ends and knee braces runs nearly the length of the house.  The facade is symmetrical with a full length covered porch, center entry and flanking wood-frame picture windows with divided uppers. The porch overhang is supported by square wood posts with knee braces sitting atop a solid clapboard clad balustrade. The concrete aggregate porch steps have stepped brick sidewalls.  Four double-hung wood frame windows are located in the dormer and this style of window is typical on non-primary facades.  There is a projecting bay on the north facade and a brick chimney on the south facade. The house sits atop a steep, terraced site terraced with a low aggregate retaining wall at the perimeter, a rockery, mature shrubs and trees. . A curved concrete stair leads to the wood entry steps with square wood railings.  

Detail for 1719 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0090 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1719 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0090 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0