Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1717 26TH AVE / Parcel ID KLUBE B -TRU / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Davies Residence Common Name: 46 Klube Residence
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
This Cottage Tudor residence, built in 1926, is associated with 1920s era development in the Montlake neighborhood. The house has been extensively remodeled with a large rear addition, a large shed dormer, a new porch roof and new windows throughout. These alterations have significantly diminished its integrity and it is not contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.The earliest known owners, in 1928, were T. Dayton & Gretchen Davies of T. A. Davies & Son Inc. In the 1930s, it was owned by Karl & Mildred Kaye in 1938; he was vice president of Pacific Wire Works Inc. Helen H. Lyon an operator for Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co., owned the home in the late 1940s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This one-and-a-half story Tudor cottage is rectangular in plan with shingle siding and a newer standing seam metal roof with a newer, incompatible shed roofed dormer. The entry stoop is sheltered by a new, incompatible a-symmetrical roof.  Windows are newer, multi-pane with faux-divided lights. There is a large shed-roofed two-story addition to the rear. The steep site is terraced with a rockery and mature shrubs. 

Detail for 1717 26TH AVE / Parcel ID KLUBE B -TRU / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Metal - Standing Seam
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1717 26TH AVE / Parcel ID KLUBE B -TRU / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0