Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1916 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0575 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Perknson Residence Common Name: 46 Bear Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1910
 
Significance
This Craftsman-style residence was built in 1910 and is associated with the earliest developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood.  Aside from minor changes to the porch, it remains intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Benjamin J. & Irene Perkinson of Perkinson & Bridges. The home was owned by Edwin J. Fenby, an Assistant Forest Supervisor, US Forest Service, and his wife, Leah, from the 1930s through at least the 1950s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1.5-story Craftsman-style residence has a cross gable roof form, clapboard siding, and stucco in the gable ends. The roof has wide bargeboard and knee braces. The front, west facing facade has a raised projecting porch with newer stone-clad steps. The porch is sheltered by a gabled roof supported by newer paired turned posts at the corners. The newer wood door has an oval etched glass window. To the north of the entry is a fixed square wood frame window Craftsman-style window and to the south is a group of 3 double-hung wood frame windows with Craftsman-style divided lights. A pair of windows in the same style are located in the gable end, and this window style is typical on the north and south facades. A tall brick chimney and shed-roofed hanging box bay are located on the south facade.  The site is terraced with a rockery, lawn, shrubs and a wide concrete walk and steps. There is a concrete driveway on the south side.

Detail for 1916 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0575 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1916 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0575 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0