Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1730 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0186 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: McKillop Residence Common Name: 46 Rabkin Residence
Style: Colonial - Dutch Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This residence is a good and intact example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style. Built in 1925, it is associated with the 1920s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood.  It has been re-clad with metal siding but otherwise retains its original features and form and is a is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Victor A. McKillop, a clerk for Balfour Guthrie & Co., and his wife, Myrtle. The home was owned by C. Ivar (a building contractor) & Pansy Anderson in 1938. Charles A. & Ethel Lee were the owners in the late 1940s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 2-story, aluminum clad, Dutch Colonial Revival-style residence has a side gable roof form, rectangular plan, and symmetrical facade. The Mansard-style roof has a full-length wall dormer and roof skirting between the first and second floors. The center entry stoop is sheltered by a gabled roof pediment with classical columns.  Three-part picture windows flank the entry.  A single double-hung window in the center of the second floor is flanked by paired double-hung windows.  Single wood frame double-hung windows are typical on the north and south facades. On the south facade, a tall stucco-clad chimney pierces the eaves at the roof ridge and a 1-story garage with a paneled door is attached at the rear.  The flat part of the site is surrounded by a tall wood fence that obscures views to the planted area and first floor. A concrete driveway slopes downward to the garage on the south end. 

Detail for 1730 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0186 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal - Aluminum Siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gambrel Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1730 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0186 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0