Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2514 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0640 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Rogers Residence Common Name: 10 Turnbull Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1920
 
Significance
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1920, it is associated with 1920s era development in the Montlake neighborhood. Despite new dormer windows, it retains its historic character and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner, in 1928, was W. G. Rogers.   

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.
 
Appearance
This large, two-story plus full daylight basement Craftsman-style residence sits high above and set back from the street on a corner lot with a rockery, brick retaining walls and terracing of shrubs and lawn. A detached concrete garage is located at grade at the northeast corner of the site. It has a lattice top wood fence above it to enclose the rear yard. A tall, lattice top wood fence also encloses the large side at the southwest end of the lot.  Wide concrete steps with a wrought iron railing cut diagonally through the site from the northwest corner leading up to the house and on the west side of the site, a second set of narrow, wood steps with a wood railing cut directly up the terraced levels to the entry porch. The house features an east-facing gable-front roof with prominent gabled roof dormers facing north and south. The basement and first floor levels are clad in red brick.  All gable ends are clad in stucco, some with half-timbering.  The raised entry porch has brick walls and is sheltered by a projecting gable-front roof supported by tall battered piers at the corners clad in river rock. Typical original windows are single, double and groupings of three double-hung wood with divided uppers. At the basement level are newer fixed windows, in the north facing roof gable are newer non-compatible aluminum frame sliders that wrap the corners, and in the south facing roof gable are newer double hung window without divided uppers. A tall brick chimney pierces the eaves on the north facade. 

Detail for 2514 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0640 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2514 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0640 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0