Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2507 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0745 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Rawson Residence Common Name: 10 Orr-Schoenborn Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This Colonial Revival house shows strong Craftsman influences, combining two popular styles. Built in 1922, it is associated with 1920s era development in the Montlake neighborhood. It retains a high degree of integrity and is a contributing resource in the Montlake NRHP Historic District.  The earliest known owners were Edwin (Elisa) Rawson in 1938; he worked for Gauger Union Oil Co. It was owned by William E. Young, a loan officer for Pacific First Federal Savings and Loan, and Georgia Young in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-one-half story side gabled residence has clipped gable ends and eave returns and three prominent narrow clipped-gable front roof dormers on the front facade. It is clad in coursed wood shingles and has a prominent brick chimney on the south facade. The raised concrete porch and 12-light wood entry door are at the south end of the main façade, sheltered by a flat projecting porch roof supported by divided posts at the corners. The roof dormer above the entry is cut deeper into the roof to afford a narrow door leading out porch roof.  To the north of the entry is a three-part wood frame bay window with a three-over-one center and flanking four-over-one sidelights. Double-hung wood frame windows are typical on non-primary facades.  The site is bermed with rockery, mature shrubs, and lawn. Wide concrete steps and a walkway lead to the house at the south end of the site and a detached, flat roofed concrete garage adjoining the neighboring garage is located at the north end of the site.

Detail for 2507 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0745 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2507 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0745 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0