Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2560 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0080 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Draper Residence Common Name: 08 Clark-Quinn Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1920
 
Significance
This Tudor- and  Craftsman-influenced residence, built in 1920, is associated with 1920's-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Edgar Draper, an assistant professor at U.W., and his wife Emily. In 1938, the owners were Frank (Coin Operated Machines) and Ruth Countner. The Chief Attorney, Veterans Administration. John Shunk, and his wife, Felicita, owned the house in 1948. Sarah Levine, widow of Benjamin Levine, was the owner in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story vernacular cottage sits above the street with a low rockery and shrubs in front.  It has a side gable roof and clapboard cladding. The center entry has a concrete stoop with a metal handrail and stairs descending toward the north. It is sheltered by a Craftsman-influenced gabled hood with stickwork and brackets.  The wood door has four small lights along the upper portion. Flanking the entry are two large picture windows with wide wood surrounds.  There is a basement garage with a newer door below the south end.  At the rear (southeast) is a secondary entry and a low deck.  Windows on the side elevations are primarily one-over-one sash with wide surrounds; some have metal sash.  Several smaller windows have three-light wood sash.  The north elevation has an exterior brick chimney.    

Detail for 2560 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0080 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2560 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0080 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0