This house is located in Block 1 Lot 4 of the Glenwilde Addition.The 1926 Model Brick Home was at the forefront of the Northwest Brick and Tile Associations’ effort to demonstrate to a growing Seattle public the desirability, durability, low maintenance, and affordability of a brick home when compared to a typical framed home. From the initial design phase, beginning in early February, to completion in mid-May, the home was completed in 12 weeks. Every detail of the construction project could be followed by the weekly articles appearing in the Seattle Times. The public was greatly encouraged to follow the progress, first hand, by visiting the site.
On March 1, 1926, following a dedication ceremony, Mr. John Stirrat and Mrs. George D. Schofield, chairman of the Better Homes committee, laid a specially designed cornerstone into the lower northwest section of a quickly rising brick wall. Upon completion, the home was available for public inspections during a two week period. At the May 16, 1926 opening day ceremony, Mr. Walter Meier, following a short speech, presented a symbolic floral key to Mrs. Victor Zednick, hostess chairman. Well over 5,000 people visited the home that first Sunday.
The earliest known owners of this house were Phillip W. & Mary Fisher in 1928. It was owned by Bertram A. & Mae Russell in 1938; he was Assistant Manager of the Federal Reserve Bank. They remained here through at least 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C. Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features. There are few intrusions of newer buildings. In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891. Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan. With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks. Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds. Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
Becker, Paula. Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.