Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2557 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0425 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 06 Haug Residence
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1936
This residence is an interesting example of the Modern style.  Built in 1936, it is associated with the 1930s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood.  It retains a remarkable degree of integrity and is a contributing resource in the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This tall, two-story residence sits high above the street and set back on a bermed site with concrete retaining walls creating raised planted areas with ground cover, mature shrubs and trees on the south side and dividing the raised, planted area from the concrete driveway at grade to the north.  The single, one-story attached concrete garage is in front of the house.  It has a paneled roll-up door, obscured glass transoms and a wood trellis and fence surrounding a patio area above. The house is clad in red brick with a hipped roof. The northern section steps back from the main mass of the house.  A concrete stair with wrought iron railings cuts through the concrete retaining walls and leads to the flush entry located near the center of the main building mass. The plain wood entry door with flanking shutters is sheltered by a hipped porch roof supported by brackets.  To the south of the entry is a large, three-part steel sash picture window with leaded divided lights and wood frames.  A similar window is located on first floor of the stepped back section to the north.   The two windows on the second floor of the front facade are located at the southernmost and northernmost corners with a large, plain expanse of the brick facade between them.   Both are paired wood frame casements with three-part leaded glass.  Similar paired casements are typical on the non-primary facades and all windows have brick sills and soldier course brick lintels. 

Detail for 2557 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0425 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2557 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0425 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0