Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Roop Residence Common Name: 01 Andrews Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This residence, located in the Montlake Park Addition, is an example of the Craftsman style.  Built in 1922 it is associated with the 1920s developmental period in the Montlake neighborhood.  The house has been altered over time. An original eyebrow roof dormer on the front facade has been replaced with a low, wide shed-roof dormer. A raised, covered side entry porch on the east side has been removed, and some windows on the non-primary facades are new. Despite these alterations, the house retains its historic character and is a contributing resource in the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were Louis C. and Florence Roop in 1928. It was owned by Gerhard S., a physician, and Lucille Carroll in 1938. The owners in 1948 were J. Rance, a sales manager at Hotel Supply, inc., and Barbara Morris. The home was owned by August G., a Fellow at UW, and Ellyn Swanson in 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-one-half side gable, clapboard clad house sits on a gently sloping site with lawn and mature shrubs and trees at the foundation. Seven concrete steps lead to the raised porch, which is covered by a projecting gable-front portico with eave returns and a gently arched opening.  The porch roof is supported by Doric columns at the corners. The front door is painted paneled wood.  To the west of the entry is a large three-part picture window with a twenty-light leaded fixed center and flanking eight-light leaded sides. The shed roof dormer above features a row of four, newer horizontally oriented casement windows. Single and paired wood frame windows, some newer, are typical on the east and west facades. One chimney pierces the eaves on the east facade and another, smaller one projects through the roof in the center of the house near the ridge. A wide concrete driveway on the east side of the site leads to a detached garage in the rear, which is obscured by a tall unpainted wood gate and fence

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0