Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2406 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200186 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Hoover Residence Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Cape Cod Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1939

In 1948, the home was owned by Herbert L. Hoover, secretary-treasurer of the Shepard Ambulance Service, and his wife Doris. In 1958, the owners were Ernest E. Boyle, a building contractor, and his wife Anna.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This one-story clapboard-clad house has a rectangular footprint and a side gable roof. The center portion projects out slightly, flanked by two side wings with lower rooflines. The entry, in the center section, is recessed under the main roof, with a slender square column with a simple molded capital on the west side and a matching pilaster on the east side. The entry has segmentally arched spandrels and a metal, six-panel door. The front elevation of the west wing of the house has an 8/8 wooden double-hung window. East of the entry is a projecting, 3-sided bay window under a metal hipped roof with a 12-light fixed wooden window in the center flanked by 4-light fixed windows. The east elevation has a small 3/6 wood window, and below this, the wall steps out with a shed roof of composition shingle to accommodate the below-grade garage entry, which has a paneled, roll-up door. To the east of this, the façade steps back and has a secondary entry with a concrete porch and metal railing. This area has a 12-light door and a 12-light wooden casement window. A large round wooden pendant is at the corner of the roof overhang. There are two red brick chimneys - one on the west gable end and an interior chimney near the center.

Detail for 2406 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200186 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2406 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200186 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 11, 2009
App v2.0.1.0