Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Base Residence Common Name:
Style: Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1930
This house is in Block 5 Lot 1-2 of the Glenwilde #2 Addition. The earliest known owners of this house were Edward & Jeanette Base; he worked at New World Life Insurance Co.. Ruth M. Welke, a musician, owned it in 1948. The owners in 1958 were Charles G. & Ruth Adelseck; he was a manager at California Western States Life Insurance Co.

 Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This one-and-one-half story Tudor house has a T-shaped footprint and a steeply pitched, clipped, cross gabled roof. A brick chimney pierces the ridgeline on the front gable. Cladding is wood shingle with stucco and half-timbering in the front gable end and over the entry. The entry, with a gable roof, concrete steps and stucco knee walls, is at the joint of the "T" on the south elevation and faces east. The roof has a slender square wood post and a pilaster at the east wall, with an arched spandrel between them and a scalloped vergeboard. South of the entry is a large fixed plate glass window, with an awning-style window below at the basement level. The front elevation has a three-sided bay window under a hipped roof, with a patterned, painted brick wall below. It has a fixed window in the center with a plain transom, flanked by identical but smaller windows. The half-timbered gable end has a pair of 8-light leaded casement windows. The first floor has a pair of 6-light leaded casement windows and a group of three similar windows. Another group is in the gable end on the second floor. The west elevation has a large gabled dormer with a small 1/1 window. The south end has a below-grade garage

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: T-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken May 12, 2009
App v2.0.1.0