Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2459 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200306 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Quiett Residence Common Name:
Style: Ranch Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1934

The earliest known owners of this house were Paul J. Quiett, a salesman at Black & Decker Manufacturing Company and his wife Grace, in 1938. Helen D. Myhrwell, a sales clerk at Frederick & Nelson owned it in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This one story brick-clad house has an L-shaped footprint with a gable roof on the south elevation and a hipped roof on the north elevation. It has been altered with a gable-roofed brick entry porch with two arched openings in the front and one on the side. The roof has flush eaves in the front gable and is clad in wood shingle. There is a wide, interior, red brick chimney on the rear roof slope near the north end. The entry has a round arched wooden door with eight panels. To the north is a pair of 8-light casement windows with leaded muntins and plank shutters. Above is a small louvered vent in the gable end. The main façade has a small diamond-paned casement window and a pair of 10-light vinyl casement windows with shutters. Below the casements is a partially below-grade garage with a paneled tilt-up garage door. The front yard is surrounded by a newer wrought iron fence with brick pillars.

Detail for 2459 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200306 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Wood - Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Other: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2459 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200306 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 20, 2009
App v2.0.1.0