Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2455 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200360 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Brashen Residence Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1939
An advertising representative at Universal Match Corporation, Abraham L. Brashen, and his wife Blanche owned the home in 1948. The owners in 1958 were Walter J. & Marjorie Dawkins; he was a tool designer at Boeing.

 Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This1-1/2-story house has an L-shaped plan with an addition on the north end (2006). It has side gable roofs, with the addition lower than the main house. There is an interior red brick chimney on the rear roof slope. Cladding is clapboard, with a row of dentil molding along the top of the wall. The main façade is symmetrical with a center entry with a paneled door flanked by pilasters. A concrete stoop with metal railings runs the width of the house, projecting out above the basement garage on the north side of the front elevation. The entry is flanked by large 6/6 wood windows with a panel below and paneled shutters. There are two shingle-clad gabled dormers on the front, each with a 6/6 wood window with a small vent above. North of the house, in front of the addition, is a clapboard-walled patio topped with glass. A split-faced concrete block retaining wall surrounds most of the property.

Detail for 2455 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200360 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2455 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200360 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 20, 2009
App v2.0.1.0