Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1957 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100855 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 45 Dreis Residence
Style: Tudor, Tudor - Cottage Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1930
This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor Revival style. It is associated with the 1930s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house, in 1938,  were Linsley H. Osthoff, a construction superintendent, at Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company, and his wife, Alyson.The home was owned by a clerk at Brainard's, Lynn D. & Alys Walters, in 1948. In 1958, Peter H. McCue, a machinist, and his wife,  Patricia owned this house.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story brick-clad Tudor Revival style house sits above the street with rockery, lawn a large maple tree and foundation shrubs. It has a side-gable roof with a crossing clipped front gable on the north half of the façade and a shed dormer on the facade; the gables and dormer have stucco and false timbering. The central entry recessed under the front gable has an open porch with brick piers, horizontal wood balustrade, and brick clad stair wall with metal balustrade descending to the north; the entry vestibule has a carved timber framed opening, basketweave brickwork framing a small window, stucco interior, and wood batten door with shaped light. Picture windows with leaded wood casements flank the entry and leaded wood casement windows are in the gables and dormers. Windows on side elevations are similar wood sash casements or leaded hung sash. The garage is below the south end and a brick chimney is on the north gable wall.

Detail for 1957 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100855 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable, Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1957 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100855 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0