Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1953 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100850 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 45 Emerson residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1913
 
Significance
This residence has been altered with new window sash and alterations to the porch and entry that have significantly altered the building's original character, and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  From 1928 through 1938, George M. Freeman, a dentist, and his wife, Geneva were the owners of this house. The home was owned by Harry D. & Florida Reed in 1948. A mechanic at Boeing, Wallace J. VanderVeer, and his wife, Evelyn owned it  in 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html
Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

 
Appearance
This 1-1/2 story shingle-clad bungalow sits high above the street with rockery, dense groundcovers, shrubs and small trees. It appears to be somewhat altered with new cladding, entry porch and window sash. It has a side-gable roof with brackets and bargeboards and a shed dormer centered on the façade; the dormer has solar panels on the roof and an inset balcony with a low horizontal balustrade. An open wood porch with similar balustrade centered on the first story leads to the inset entry with patterned light wood frame door. Grouped patterned light wood casement sash windows with false muntins flank the entry. A brick chimney is on the south gable wall.

Detail for 1953 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100850 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Unknown
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1953 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100850 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0