Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1816 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500225 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Mayrand Residence Common Name: 45 Singer residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1915
This residence has been somewhat altered with the addition of an entry vestibule, but it is generally intact and exhibits influence of the Craftsman and Tudor styles .Built in 1915, is associated with the early development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From 1915 through at least 1938, the owners of this house were Charles E. Mayrand, a salesman at Stewart & Holmes Drug Company, and his wife, Mildred. It was owned by Virgel L. & Flora Ruffings in 1948. In 1958 the home was owned by Guy O. Davis, a clerk at the Washington State Liquor Board, and his wife,  Louise.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This two-story shingle-clad house sits on a flat lot with shallow setback and foundation shrubs. It has a front-gable roof with boxed eaves, full returns and stucco with false timbering in the gables. The gabled entry porch has been enclosed and has a rectangular opening with concrete stairs flanked by paired narrow vertical lights with panels below and a French door.  The three-part focal window to the left has a wide cottage sash flanked by narrower cottage sash with patterned lights in the upper part. The second story façade has two single 1/1 vinyl sash windows with a wood balustrade balconette with bracket supports. Windows on other elevations are a similar mix of original grouped cottage sash, 1/1 wood sash, and vinyl sash. A hanging box bay is on the second story of the south elevation and a painted brick chimney is on the north elevation. 

Detail for 1816 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500225 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1816 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 3592500225 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0