Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1764 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 3592500190 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 45 Harvey residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Colonial - Colonial Revival, Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1912
 
Significance
This large residence is generally intact and exhibits eclectic stylistic influences including Craftsman, Colonial Revival and Tudor. Built in 1912, is associated with the early development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From1928 through 1948, the owners of this house were Archie Krom, VP-Manager at West Coast Machinery Company and his wife, Ida.

The home was owned by Robert J. & Dorothy Mulloy in 1958. Robert was the President at the Seattle Driving School Inc.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

    



  

 
Appearance
This large 2-1/2 story residence sits on a flat corner lot with lawn and large shrubs on the west side.  It has a side-gable roof with exposed rafter tails and a prominent gabled wall dormer centered on the symmetrical main façade; the gables have stucco with false timbering, flat brackets, and modillions in the cornice below the gable ends. The first story is clad in painted brick and the second story has coursed shingle cladding. The central gabled wood porch has paneled skirt, square corner posts, wood balustrade, stairs descending to the east, panel door with divided lights in the upper half and wide divided light sidelights.  Three-part windows flanking the porch have a wider sash grouped with two narrower casement sashes with leaded transoms over each. Windows on the second story are 8/1 vinyl sash on the ends, with original paired patterned light casement sash in the middle and vinyl sash in the gable. Windows on other elevations are a similar mix of vinyl sash, original wood casements or wood sash with divided lights in the upper sash, some with lead transoms. An enclosed sun porch on the west elevation has grouped windows of plain wood casement sash. A two story rectangular hipped roof bay projects form the east elevation. A brick chimney is on the rear, north elevation.

Detail for 1764 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 3592500190 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1764 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 3592500190 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0