Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1871 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101205 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 44 Risse Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
 
Significance
The earliest known owners of this house were William R. & Mary Hendrey in 1928, of W. R. Hendrey Co.In 1938, the home was owned by John & Florence LeCocq in 1938; he worked at Seattle Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic. John & Florence LeCocq's ownership continued through 1948.

The home was owned by Sidney J. Sanders, a trader at Foster & Marshall, and his wife, Claire, in 1958.

This residence is a good and generally intact example of the Craftsman style. It is associated with early 20th century development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This house is the largest in the area, and is on a finished lot with a masonry retaining wall with brick columns.  The two story house is generally rectangular in plan, sits on a poured concrete foundation, is clapboard clad, and has a front gabled asphalt shingle roof with overhanging eaves and exposed vergeboards. It was constructed in 1921 and renovated in 2005. The front (NE) façade includes the front entry at the far north end of the house. The entry vestibule has an arched pediment roof supported by double wood piers. The rectangular paneled door is flanked by sidelights and has a fanlight above. Fenestration is replacement vinyl; the first story has two sets of 12-over-1 fixed pane sash flanked by 4-over-1 casement windows. The second story has two pairs of 4-over-1 casement windows, with a fanlight beneath the gable peak. The south end of the house has an attached porch, whose windows and their opening size have been replaced/altered.  A prominent gabled wing dominates the south façade, and includes a gabled dormer and exterior chimney. 

Detail for 1871 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101205 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1871 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101205 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0